About Me

My photo
I am currently living the #Vanlife, living out of my SUV and exploring this beautiful country while seeking peace and answers to this crazy life. I'm an adventurer, Nomad, chocolate enthusiast, nature lover, seeker of truth, story teller, sarcastic tease, a lover of food, and a lover of learning.

Saturday, February 2, 2019

Big Sur, The Pacific Coast and Spirit Animals



Have you ever read a book that just spoke to you? Like, the whole time you’re just saying, “Yep. Amen sister!  Yes, I’m totally feelin’ it.”  That’s how it was when I read Anatomy of a Calling a few years ago (I’m currently re-reading it). The author, Lissa Ranck, is an OB/GYN who became frustrated with the current health care system and felt she had lost touch with her true calling to really connect and help others heal. In the book, Lissa refers multiple times to how Big Sur was a place of spiritual awakenings, that it had this amazing energy that she felt flowed through her and helped realize her divine potential.  “Hmm….” I thought, “I totally want me some of that spiritual awakening and divine potential stuff!”

I knew that as I was leaving on my road trip that Big Sur was going to be one of my stops. I was a bit disappointed that the forecast was rain, rain and more rain.  There was one day where the rain did let up and I jumped on the opportunity. I went to some of the places Lissa Ranck had described in her book. I was surrounded by so much beautiful scenery, but no special feeling arose. No divine spiritual experiences. “Ok, well, maybe later” I told myself, a bit disappointed.  I decided to go for a 4 mile hike, round-trip, to a lookout point over the ocean. The beginning of the walk was so beautiful. Tall redwoods, ferns, colorful plants popping out among the foliage, a bluebird flying back and forth among the bushes. And then the hike turned to switchbacks. The sweat started pouring down my forehead, my heart rate increased to about 400bpm and my breathing became a bit more labored and I was developing a side-ache, like when you try to go for a jog after eating a big plate of nachos (because I’ve definitely never done that before). It was overcast, humid and I was out of shape. Then the conversation started in my head,” How is this so hard for me? I’ve done much harder hikes than this!” My blunt inner voice responded, similar to Jillian Michaels during Biggest Loser, “Are you kidding me?!  When was the last time you worked out? In fact, when was the last time you were actually ‘in shape’?”  I grumbled back, “Ok, ok!  You’ve got a point. No need to rub it in.”  It didn’t help that young 20-somethings were bouncing up the hill with peppy smiles on their faces and not one sign that the switchbacks were any sort of challenge. I finally arrived at the top. The view was beautiful. The stillness was even more beautiful.


The rest of the day I spent relaxing and recovering from the surprisingly difficult hike.  I was so disappointed with myself that I was determined to go for a longer hike the next day, just to prove I could do it.  So I did an 8 mile hike the next day in the wind and rain, because “damn those 20 year olds!!”  I did it, the 8 miles. I returned exhausted and soaked, but proud of myself, and then went straight to the hot showers. Beautiful hot showers!! 

So after those 2 days of hiking in Big Sur, without any divine spiritual experiences, epiphanies or deep insights, I left a little disappointed and decided to drive down the coast. If you have never driven down highway 1 in California, put it on your bucket list. It’s so beautiful!  I’ve done it a few times now and have enjoyed it every time. Anyway, after driving for a bit, I decided to park my car by a beautiful spot just south of Pismo Beach in central California. It was mid-morning and I opened up Anatomy of a Calling to continue reading. As I was sitting there in my car, I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. I looked up and saw a coyote trotting down the road. Mind you, I’m parked in front of multi-million dollar coastal/beach homes. There are rolling hills nearby, but I thought it was an odd occurrence.  About an hour later I saw a small wild boar casually trotting down the opposite direction than the coyote had come. It was stopping along the way, sniffing here and there and eventually was gone.  So strange!  Of course, I don’t live along the coast so I don’t know if it’s a common thing to have wild animals roam the neighborhoods, but it sure was some nice sightseeing.




Time passed, the rain was still coming down and my attention span was waning because I wanted to be outside. My mind started wandering and a humorous thought popped into my head, “Maybe those are my spirit animals.” Over the past 2 to 3 years I have taken an interest in Native American beliefs. I am open to learning truths from all belief systems, but I’ve been particularly drawn to Native American spiritualism and the belief that we’re all connected to the earth, plants, animals, rocks, sun, moon and even those loved ones who have passed. A year or two ago, after a deeply spiritual experience with a patient of mine who was Native American, he explained spirit animals to me. I wasn’t sure it was something that I felt a connection to, but I understood the concept. Since that time, I’ve pondered and read up on spirit animals. So when the coyote and wild boar passed by me randomly, with no other humans around, my mind became curious about the thought of these being potential spirit animals.  Of course, I had to look up the meaning of both.

Coyote: When this animal appears in your life, it’s time to find humor/playfulness amid or through the dark times, seek after and ponder hidden wisdom/meaning in chaos, time to become adaptable and create something new.

Wild Boar: This animal symbolizes tenacity, stability, determination to go after what is most important to you/creating your own reality, using intelligence to gain abundance (not necessarily financial abundance, but that would be nice!), and the courage and ability to use ingenuity to weather the storm.

Hmmm…..interesting.  I suppose any person could take any spirit animal meaning and use it to apply meaning to their life. But also, isn’t that what spiritualism is? In any religion or spiritual belief, don’t believers use the experiences around them to interpret meaning for their life? Every spiritual experience, where or when it happens and what it feels like, is unique to each person. A person may feel peace and calm in their home, or temple, or nature, or with loved ones, or being with their pet. I have had deep spiritual experiences in nature, with dreams, while driving in my car listening to music, during conversations with people I’ve just met and also with those I’ve developed close relationships with. I had a life-altering spiritual experience during a massage once and when I later told the therapist, she said she felt the need to pray over me during the massage. Spiritual experiences can happen anywhere and meaning applied to most anything.

It was foolish of me to assume that just because an author I admired had several spiritual experiences in Big Sur that I would also have an intense spiritual experience there as well. I should know better. But we all crave to FEEL something special. That’s why throngs of people gather in holy places each week or each year. That works for many people and that’s ok. For me, following my intuition, being open to different experiences and giving myself the freedom to FEEL without shame or embarrassment, as well as learning to be in tune to those around me is what makes me feel the most spiritual. And of course, there are always those sweet surprise moments when the universe gives you something special unexpectedly. 

 Perhaps the coyote and wild boar are my spirit animals, perhaps not. But I can still apply the meaning of the spirit animals by using humor, looking for wisdom, being determined, mustering up courage, using my intelligence and being adaptable to create a really fantastic future.

No comments:

Post a Comment